[ic] Can default shipping be blank?

Thomas J.M. Burton tom at globalfocusdm.com
Fri Jul 16 23:10:35 UTC 2010

On 7/16/2010 4:00 PM, IC Support wrote:
> Thomas J.M. Burton<tom at globalfocusdm.com>  wrote:
>
>> One of my client's catalogs is seeing an issue with non-domestic
>> customers not selecting a shipping method, resulting in an order that
>> uses the default shipping method (FedEx Ground, in this case).
>>
>> I'd like to make selection of a proper shipmode required to place an
>> order, so that I can minimize the possibility of orders being place with
>> an invalid shipping option. One idea I've had is to not have a default
>> shipping mode and make mv_shipmode required in the order profile. I'm
>> wondering if that will cause any other problems.
>>
>> Does anyone know if that approach will work? I'm open to other
>> suggestions as well.
>>
> Sorry I can't answer that directly, but I assume you are using the
> single-page checkout. If I remember correctly, I got away from that problem
> by using the multi-page checkout feature. User must select Country first and
> then address, before the shipping option is offered. Also you need to make
> sure every Country you ship to has a shipping code in the country table.
>

>> The catalog is running on IC 5.4.2 (yeah, I know we need to upgrade).
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Tom
>>
> Good luck!
>
> Curt

Thanks Curt. I ended up figuring out a solution that I think will work.
I created a shipping method called "default" and set that as the default
(of course). It's a method based on the number of items in the cart and
displays a message "Please select a shipping method".

I then added a regex check to my order profiles to return an error if
mv_shipmode is set to "default" when an order is placed. Seems to be
working so far.

Best,
Tom

!DSPAM:4c40e6ee99031222119242!