[ic] "Interchange 6"? Really?

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Thu Sep 29 04:22:32 UTC 2011

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011, Peter wrote:

> Also there will eventually be a clear migration path so you can move
> your sites over to IC6.  I think that when the compatibility plugins are
> ready it should be a little bit more difficult than upgrading from an
> older version of IC (say IC4.8 or 5.0) to the current version.  It will
> mean having to install any base modules for IC6 and making a few
> "compatibility" tweaks in catalogs.  While a lot can happen between now
> and then my personal belief is that there will be compatibility plugins
> to support ITL, usertags, catalog and global config files, actionmaps,
> jobs, etc.  The base goal will be to take a current standard demo shop
> and get it to run with minimal changes on IC6, then to add in any other
> needed compatibility.  At least that's how I see things progressing.

That is all even more highly speculative than the plans for Interchange
6's central features, so I would not count on any of that unless you know
someone who wants to fund it.

I think it's safer to plan on having Interchange 5 and 6 handling
different parts of the URL space for a domain as a coexistence strategy,
which is just about as good but doesn't involve lots of engineering work
that may or may not ever happen.

Jon

--
Jon Jensen