[ic] Table Editor - Next Generation

Stefan Hornburg (Racke) racke at linuxia.de
Sat Dec 14 09:27:50 UTC 2013

On 12/14/2013 09:00 AM, Kaare Rasmussen wrote:
> Hi Racke
>
> I gave the Table Editor a go. Not because I need it, but I appreciate all your work.
>> We started a Table Editor project which consists of a lean API provided by a Dancer
>> application and a JavaScript driven frontend based on Angular.
>>
>> To access your database you need a DBIx::Class schema,
>> e.g. https://metacpan.org/pod/Interchange6::Schema.
>> You can also generate one from your existing database.
>> Only tables with primary keys are supported in the moment.
>
> This suggests that you can edit any DBIC schema, not just an ic6 schema. Not sure it's true?
> You certainly need a users table with a username and password to be able to login.

Yes, any DBIC schema. That is correct. You can configure Dancer::Plugin::Auth::Extensible
to use a different login method or different database, check the documentation of the
plugin.

>> Authentication is provided by Dancer::Plugin::Auth::Extensible, currently every
>> user with a valid login can use the table editor. This will be changed of course
>> so only admin users can do that.
> The password has to be SHA-512. No clear text password support. Or perhaps there is a way to cheat this?
>
> I know, I know. Passwords must be encrypted. But for testing, this was a bit of an obstacle.
>
>> We are extremely grateful for any feedback on this. It is your project
>> as Interchange user as well 8-).
>
> The ui works fine. You can edit or create rows. I could wish for some enhancements regarding usability, but I'm not sure they are table editor or angular issues. Anyway, it's impressive as a first release, and it works.

Thanks. We would be glad if you can make a list of enhancements suggestions.

> The installation missed Dancer::Plugin::Auth::Extensible::Provider::DBIC in the requirements list.

Yeah, I suppose that would be useful to add. On the other hand, it is not a really requirement as
you can pick another provider.

Thanks a lot for give it a test run.

Regards
         Racke