[ic] perl-5.16.3 safe for IC?

Josh Lavin josh at perusion.com
Tue Jul 15 21:06:16 UTC 2014

Quoting Grant (emailgrant at gmail.com):
> >> Gentoo wants me to upgrade from perl-5.12.4-r1 to perl-5.16.3.  Is
> >> that safe for IC?
> >
> > If you are already running 5.12.4, then you are probably fine.
> >
> > I have had major issues getting anything over 5.8.9 to work well with
> > Interchange, when compiling from source:
> >
> > - `make test` fails, which isn't necessarily indicative of a problem,
> >   but it sure hurts our image for newbies.
> >
> > - IC Jobs will not run. They make IC die with no errors or
> >   warnings. strace'ing this shows a seg fault, which AFAIK
> >   indicates a Perl problem.
> >
> > - Attempts to use $Sql{mytable} and $sth->execute calls results in
> >   failure with error: Had to create DBI::_dbistate unexpectedly at (eval
> >   438) line 1. (This is a problem with Safe.)
>
> That's weird.  Which distro?  Anybody else having these issues?

I tried on CentOS and Ubuntu, both virtual servers and non-virtual.
Tested perls built with perlbrew, but have also tested system-provided
perls and hand-compiled perls. Anything > 5.8.9 had `make test` and Job
issues. The $Sql issue I only noticed on 5.10.1 so far; did not test
other versions yet.

It is hard to believe that I have experienced these in isolation, so I
would welcome other testers.

--
Josh Lavin
... ask me about job opportunities ...