[ic] perl-5.16.3 safe for IC?

Lyn St George lyn at zolotek.net
Wed Jul 16 08:29:29 UTC 2014

On 15/07/2014 22:06, Josh Lavin wrote:
> I tried on CentOS and Ubuntu, both virtual servers and non-virtual.
> Tested perls built with perlbrew, but have also tested system-provided
> perls and hand-compiled perls. Anything > 5.8.9 had `make test` and Job
> issues. The $Sql issue I only noticed on 5.10.1 so far; did not test
> other versions yet.
>
> It is hard to believe that I have experienced these in isolation, so I
> would welcome other testers.

Hmm. I just ran make && make test for IC 5.8.2 on perl 5.16.3 on Gentoo
with all tests successful. If I get a chance I'll test those other two
issues. It's worth noting that Gentoo patches all source files before
installing. For perl, portage has 22 patches for perl 5.8.8, 2 for
5.10.1, 4 for 5.12, 1 for 5.14 but none for 5.16. Also 8 general patches
for all versions.

I also have a CentOS 6.5 virtual server which is now only used for
backup. I do recall now that perl gave me grief on that (though it may
have been for Catalyst, it was a while ago) and so I installed 5.12.5 by
hand. Just ran make test for IC 5.8.2 on that perl without issues.

Lyn