[ic] Plack + Interchange for easy development

Josh Lavin jlavin at endpoint.com
Wed Jul 13 04:32:38 UTC 2016

I've been playing with Plack's ability to wrap CGI programs, such as
Interchange, as reported earlier by hexfusion and abaerg.

I found it to be a very easy way to get an Interchange catalog running
on a local machine, sans any web server. (It may also have good value
for production, but that's for another day.)

For my machine, I decided to use dnsmasq so I could access the catalog
at http://strap.dev:5001/. This has the advantage of allowing cookies to
be set, unlike the use of "localhost:5001" (cookies need a dot in there
to be set).

I also played with a tool called "ngrok" which does some reverse
HTTP magic so the outside world can access a port on your localhost
(not for long-term use, but a quick way to share a local site with
someone else!).

You could get fancier with it, of course, but I think this makes for an
easy way to spin up catalogs on your personal machine (perhaps a simple
alternative to DevCamps? - www.devcamps.org).

I've created some instructions and files to get you started here:

https://github.com/jdigory/interchange-extras/tree/master/plack

--
Josh Lavin
End Point Corporation