[ic] Website down

Jon Jensen jon at endpointdev.com
Thu Feb 16 05:24:28 UTC 2023

On Wed, 15 Feb 2023, Paul Jordan wrote:

> In my experience there were only a couple emails per month (if that) for
> the last several years - if that's not "the issues" blocking me from
> seeing many more then shutting it down seems fit.

Yes, some months no posts at all.

But here we have a real party going again, lots of people showing up to
say hi. It's great to hear from you all!

I found that the problem with Mailman was a subscription attack coming
from many IP addresses and using many email addresses, and the deferred
and bouncing verification emails were clogging up both Mailman and
Postfix.

That is likely to keep happening, but at least for now cleared out the
trash and blocked some emails and IP addresses from trying any more.

> Would be nice to hear from those willing to share what other platforms
> they're using now besides/with Interchange - since this may be the last
> time we converse in a group so easily - and there's 20 years of trust
> built into your opinions.

That's a great idea. It would be nice to hear from people who are still
getting list messages.

> I'm still using Interchange and thinking of switching to React on the
> front end. Feel like I should be switching to cloud processes instead of
> a traditional server/LAMP setup but those have grown so vast it's hard
> to distinguish what the entry point is (I do use S3 and Cloudfront).

End Point overall uses lots of different technology: Java, Ruby (and
Rails), Python (mostly Django and Flask), Node.js, React, Vue, .NET/C#,
PHP, Go, C++, Rust, etc. Even some bash. 😁 And various cloud services,
though we try not to get too specific to any one cloud platform.

And we still have plenty of sites running on Interchange and Perl with
either PostgreSQL or MySQL. Some of those are entirely Interchange, while
others have RESTful APIs in Perl modules with bigger JavaScript
front-ends, or sections of websites in other languages and frameworks.

The most disruptive thing for us is bit rot, and moving to a new long-term
support OS version every 4-5 years, where the OS, Perl or other language,
modules, database, and other parts all get upgraded and usually some
things need work. When it's Rails, a lot of things break and we have to do
a lot of work.

Jon

--
Jon Jensen