[wellwell-devel] CSS and Javascript Frameworks

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Wed Jun 24 20:55:33 UTC 2009

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009, Marty Tennison wrote:

> Since wellwell is designed to be a framework for building catalogs.
> Would it be advantageous to incorporate a CSS and Javascript framework
> (and perhaps others) to ease development?

Yes, definitely. It should perhaps be possible to switch to something
else, but not choosing a JavaScript framework by default will greatly
increase the work for new developers.

> I've been working with YAML (www.yaml.de) and jQuery (www.jquery.com)
> lately.  I'm sure there are others to consider also.

jQuery is becoming very popular yet is more lightweight than e.g. YUI. I
haven't used it myself, but several co-workers really like it.

> As more of a philosophical discussion, I'm wondering if, to keep
> competitive, frameworks as they mature, need to incorporate other
> frameworks to ease development as the environment becomes more complex.
> Much in the same way interchange incorporates CPAN modules for specific
> low level tasks, the framework for building catalogs might need to
> incorporate underlying frameworks for visual design also.

I think that's a very good way of looking at it, yes.

Jon

--
Jon Jensen
End Point Corporation