[Camps-users] chcamp utility?

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Mon Jan 25 17:07:03 UTC 2010

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010, Gert van der Spoel wrote:

>> Your camps will be created generally in ~/camp\d\d, and the camp
>> scripts will first check for the CAMP environment variable, and failing
>> that, fall back to $CWD =~ /camp(\d+)/ && $1 (more-or-less) to locate
>> the camp number.
>
> Ah I had not seen that camp\d\d is the name to choose ... I had created:
> /home/gert/camping/mydomain
>
> camp01, 02, 03 .. did not seem to be very explanatory and thought to have
> mydomain
> myotherdomain
> mydomain-fixshipping
>
> etc, to be more useful names for camps to set up.
>
> But that is not possible, it is camp\d\d ?

It's literally camp\d\d? -- camp2 or camp29, but not camp02.

Gert, did you make your camp with "mkcamp"? You shouldn't ever need to
choose a camp directory name at all. It's implicit.

The way we keep track of what each camp is used for is by comments on the
camp that go into the camp database, which you can see from the CGI index
or with camp-info. If you were to name each camp based on its role (which
we did in the very early days), it often becomes wrong as the purpose of
the camp changes, or it's for multiple things, or gets reused after a
project goes into production. The genericity of numbers instead of names
has been helpful and reinforces that all the camps are really the same.

Please keep the questions coming! It's very helpful to have a camp n00b
and we should be able to improve the documentation based on the questions
you've been asking.

Thanks,
Jon

--