[interchange-docs] http://www.icdevgroup.org/xmldocs/iccattut/MinimalCatalog.html

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Fri Mar 31 18:33:06 EST 2006

Davor Ocelic <docelic at griffin.linux.hr> wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 07:34:54 -0800 (PST) "William O. Yates" <hackware at tru2life.net> wrote:
> > i was not refering to the path, but the filename...
> >
> > catalogs.cfg should be interchange.cfg
> >
> No Will, as I said, the right path *and filename* on Debian is
>
> /etc/interchange/catalogs.cfg
>
> The Debian packages are done in such a way that interchange.cfg includes
> catalogs.cfg.

That's very strange.  I've never seen that on any system I've worked
on.  Then again, I don't tend to come across Debian systems.  Is that
file Debian-specific or is it set up like that on any other distros?

I suggest one of the following:

    1. The section name is "Catalog Registration: interchange.cfg".
       Perhaps a new section should be created to explain the
       reason for the "catalogs.cfg" file.  As I said, I've never
       come across it.  I imagine that there are a couple of others
       who haven't either.  A new section would help avoid confusion.

    2. The text could be changed to "Open the {ICROOT}/catalogs.cfg
       file (Debian users) or {ICROOT}/interchange.cfg (everyone else)
       and add the following".

I don't believe that the docs should be biased toward any specific
distribution.  Distro-specific package differences should be explained
wherever they occur.

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz