[ic] Double Byte char problem through Interchange

Mike Heins mikeh@minivend.com
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 05:10:02 -0400

Quoting Andy Cheng (aylcheng@hotmail.com):
> Hi,
> I'm using Interchange 4.5.6, RedHat Linux 6.2, and MySQL 3.22.32 in my
> system.  I've proved my MySQL DB supports chinese characters (which is
> double byte encoding).
>
> My Interchange admin interface can actually manipulate chinese chars when
> I'm using a Chinese OS, but Chinese chars cannot be displayed when I'm using
> an English OS even I selected the Encoding method to be Chinese Big 5 under
> my IE 5.5 browser.
>
> Anyone got any idea?
>
> Is there any configuration file(s) in Interchange I've to play around with
> it?

If I knew anything about Unicode I could make suggestions, but
I don't. I am afraid I am unlikely to be of much use in that
regard.

There are probably a few gotchas in the code. There are just a few
situations where I use [A-Z] as a character range, and since I am
loath to give up support for Perl 5.005 at this point I cannot
use the new 5.6 unicode-friendly classes. For the most part, I try
to use idiom which could be generic, but since I don't use the thing
I must rely on others to help.

Basically, I think we need to find a super-Perl hacker who knows
Chinese and Japanese and who can help me get over the last few
steps.

It would be helpful if there was exact information on what the
problems are -- for instance is it:

  -- displaying info in a text box?
  -- getting the SELECT boxes to retain their value?
  -- problems with TEXTAREA?

etc.etc. Some of those could be dealt with via the prefilter and
filter capability of the UI.

phone +1.513.523.7621 fax 7501 <heins@akopia.com>

I have a cop friend who thinks he ought be able to give a new ticket;
"too dumb for conditions".