[ic] Making State non-mandatory / blank

Tim Watts interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Wed Aug 1 14:16:01 2001

"Mark Johnson" wrote:>
> This should be the default behavior for the checkout page in foundation
> and construct.

Although the defaults seem to work well in most situations, I've come across
a similar problem and am trying to come up with a generic form for other
coutries, because I am not familiar enough with all the variations through
out the world.

--This is a quote from a frustrated shopper from Germany:

I live in Munich, Germany.  When I tried to finalize the information it came
back with the notice that bold print areas need to be filled in, which I had
done.  State or Province makes no sense for most foreign addresses but I put
down "Bavaria" anyway, even though this shouldn't be in a German address.
The German equivalent of a zip code comes directly before the city (80331
Munich)

--And this from one in Ireland:

State/province in shipping address should read
"Dublin" and not "County Durham", but this option is
not available in the pull-down menu!

The one from Ireland just filled in the information in the proper format for
his country in the "Ship to:" area, we lost the order from Germany.

Anyone else having this problem and what solutions have you come up with?

Thanks, Tim