[ic] 4.7.x RPM?

Mike Heins interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Wed Jul 18 14:17:02 2001

Quoting Bob Ramstad (rramstad@alum.mit.edu):
> Howdy.  First, I'm not subscribed to the mailing list, and so any
> replies should go directly to me as well.  Thanks.
>
> Given the comments I've been reading at the list archives, and the
> fact that we're just starting out with Interchange... and the fact
> that our catalog is going to feature a lot of sections and
> subsections... it sounds like we should be experimenting with 4.7.x.
> (I've been playing around with 4.6.5 for a week or so.)
>
> Would it be possible for a semi-official 4.7.x RPM to be provided in
> the downloads area along with the stable 4.6.5 release?  Judging from
> all the comments, it sounds like 4.7.x is getting relatively close to
> being usable, and not only would this make it easier for folks to
> experiment with 4.7.x, it would also generate more comments and bug
> reports on 4.7.x which would make it a better release.

Talk about timing -- we are releasing beta, including RPMs, later today.

Of course you do have everything you need to make an RPM when you get
the tarball; all you have to do is:

	perl -MCPAN -e 'install Bundle::Interchange'
	tar xzf interchange-X.XX.tar.gz
	cp interchange-X.XX.tar.gz /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
	cp interchange-X.XX/SPECS /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
	cd /usr/src/redhat
	rpm -ba SPECS/interchange.spec

At that point, you will have 3 RPMS to install -- interchange,
interchange-demo, and interchange-foundation-demo.

The man pages are there, and comprise:

    compile_link(1)
    configdump(1)
    config_prog(1)
    dump(1)
    expire(1)
    expireall(1)
    icadvanced(8)
    iccattut(8)
    icconfig(8)
    icdatabase(8)
    icfoundation(8)
    ictags(8)
    ictemplates(8)
    icupgrade(8)
    interchange(1)
    localize(1)
    makecat(1)
    offline(1)
    restart(1)
    update(1)

> Finally, I'm very impressed with the abilities and functionality of
> Interchange.  If the documentation gets up to speed, this will be THE
> e-commerce system to beat in the marketplace, and it's open source!

We have been working hard on the docs -- they are in the CVS tree
and will soon be up on the web site with release of beta. We hope
they address peoples concerns to some extent.

As the person who has written much of the documentation, I am a bit
disappointed that I haven't been able to produce what people need.
No one has seemed to have been able to produce pertinent examples of
what actually *is* needed, which hamstrings me a bit. Most features
of Interchange are documented, some of them in excruciating detail.
In a lot of cases, people ask questions which would be easily solved
by finding appropriate documentation references.

phone +1.513.523.7621      <mheins@redhat.com>

-- Wernher Von Braun