[ic] Tax exempt customers...

Mark Johnson interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Mon Jun 11 18:32:01 2001

Michael Soflin wrote:

> I am implementing a site using Akopia 4.6.x.  The site will be open to the
> general public as well as to my regular net 30 customers.  Many of my net30
> customers are government and educational and are exempt from paying the
> normal Michigan sales tax that the general public has to pay.  I've made an
> initial look into doing this but nothing jumped out at me.  Before I begin
> an exhaustive search I was wondering if anyone could put me on the right
> path to handling tax exempt customers.

>From the docs:

NonTaxableField

The name of the field in the products database that is set (to 1 or yes)
if an item is not to be taxed. Will log an error and tax it anyway if
the field doesn't exist in the database. Blank by default, disabling the
feature.

NonTaxableField    wholesale

> Along these same lines, these customers generally pickup merchandise (no
> shipping charges apply).  Is there an easy way to define a shipping method
> that computes a zero shipping cost?

in shipping.asc:

none	Pick-Up	1	0	2	0

Where 'Pick-Up' is the label that is displayed for the shipping field.
Insert whatever text you'd like.

> I'm sure I can dig out the answers but I'm hoping the experience of this
> list will get me off on the right foot.

Set up an Autoload function that scans for a flag in the user's data to
tell if this person is non-taxable and non-shippable. Then, reset
accordingly:

if ($Scratch->{exempt_cust}) {
    $Vend::Cfg->{NonTaxableField} = 'field_in_products_all_set_to_1';
    $Values->{mv_shipmode} = 'none';
}

I've given you 90% of the answer. The rest you'll have to dig for
through the archives or the docs.