[ic] groups in userdb

Fri Oct 5 15:41:00 2001

Quoting Steffen Dettmer (steffen@dett.de):
> Hi,
>
> for various reasons I need to organize at least some (hundert)
> users in groups. Well, after a while I found where user
> authentication is done, it's part of the "core" interchange.
> Since I don't want to modify something there, I though it should
> work to add the functionality in the catalog by some perl code.
> For that, I added a group_id column to the database table (I use
> postgres). Via a [data] tag (or similar) it's possible to read
> out the gid, but it seems to be a lot of work. I think to store
> the gid in the session on first request (as a kind of cache).
>
> But before I start to implement this, I would like to hear some
> comments, maybe I'm on the wrong way with this approach. If
> somebody could say a few sentences about it, I would be glad.
> Thank you.

This is automatically done for you. Add the column to userdb and
voila! it is in the session.

However, with something important like a GID I would recommend
using Scratch to hold it (otherwise people could send a request
with "group_id=nefarious" and reset their GID).

    UserDB  default scratch "group_id dealer price_level etc"

phone +1.513.523.7621      <mheins@redhat.com>

Prove you aren't stupid.  Say NO to Passport.