[ic] imhosted.com

Paul Jordan interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Tue Apr 23 00:40:00 2002

> Hello,
>
> Has anyone had any experience with imhosted.com?  I'm considering
> using them
> as a host and wanted to see if anyone had good or bad things to say about
> them.  I'm mainly interested in reliability and quick tech support
>
> Thank you,
>
> Russell Mann

Well, I thought you were gonna post (or send ) your email, but I guess not.
So I will give my opinion on the list.

I was attracted to Imhosted because of the great $deal and professional
looking website, plus they used this software called "Interchange" :)

It started out fine, but from ~November to when I cancelled my account,
their (and mine) site were unreachable for hours at a time. I would be able
to reach the entire internet, but not my site, and not imhosted.com. They
claimed they were mostly "network upgrades", which I am sure some of them
were. They also did post half the incidents on their "status history" deal,
in cpanel.

But, the $deal kept me there. Until I ordered an SSL cert. My request for a
CSR went unanswered for weeks. So I gave up and had them buy (an install) it
for I dunno, like $150. We were still in dev, and just getting ready to
launch, hook up AuthNet, and utilize the SSL, when I had enough of the line
going down (especially after many unsaved changes in UI), that I requested
my SSL cert, and to cancel. I didn't get a response, at all. I changed to a
dedicated server, which is a dream. It took me a month to get my money back
for the cert, because their phone numbers go straight to answering machines,
and faxes go into space.

I say I got my money back because as it turned out, they never bought the
SSL cert, even though they charged my card a month prior! I had to file a
dispute with WellsF.

Customer support was decent until you actually start asking for help. I
never got any help with IC, they always referred me to this here list.

My advice is this. If you know enough to administer and setup a collocated
server, then do that. There are some great deals out there. If you can do it
your self, then all you really need a recommendation on is "uptime" and
speed, the rest you can handle, so take advantage of those good deals.

If you are like me, and new to Linux, IC, colo servers, then you should
probably spend a little more and find a host that knows you will be
centering around IC, has experience with it, and offers support for the
entire implementation Linux=>IC=>foo.

Alot of hosts out there simply pack their packages up with all this great
free software for looks, but don't have the knowledge to implement them
correctly.

Anyways, those are the facts WRT my exrperience

Paul