[ic] Accounting?

Dan Browning interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Mon Aug 12 13:38:01 2002

At 07:58 AM 8/12/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Dan Browning wrote:
>
>>At 09:42 PM 8/11/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>>
>>>I'm curious to know how Interchange handles transactions. Is there any
>>>ledger type accounting included?
>>

>>Interchange does a lot, but it doesn't try to do all the accounting (GL,
>>AR, etc.) itself.  For Quickbooks, the extensions/quickbooks directory in
>>the tarball has been around for quite some time.  More recently, Mike
>>Heins has been working on a SQL-Ledger module originally written by
>>Daniel Thompson <danht@callthenet.com>.
>>Checkout the latest 4.9 CVS to test that out.
>>
>>>If not, how difficult would it be to
>>>integrate with a third party accounting system?  If anyone knows of any
>>>open source Perl Accounting scripts, please reply.
>>

>>SQL-Ledger is written in Perl.  I highly recommend another open source
>>accounting/ERP/CRM system, Compiere (http://www.compiere.org).
>>Compiere developers are interested in integrating it with IC (its about
>>50% down the TODO list), but it hasn't been started yet.
>>Another option available to you is engaging a competent IC consultant to
>>integrate IC with whatever backend you want (i.e. already use).
>>There have been two integrations with MAS90, another via DBI::Proxy
>>(forgot the backend name), and many others I'm sure done by various
>>consultants.
>
>Compiere does have a lot of promise, but the challenge is that it is not a
>ERP system yet as it hasn't any manufacturing or MRP systems at least as
>the last time I exchanged messages with the developer back in June...

Well, you shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.  ;-)  Not everyone
manufactures their own products, so it fits the definition of ERP for a lot
of people (and these days, everyone makes their own definition).  But a
funny twist is that (being an open source project), someone is already
working on additional MRP features:

<quote Michal Materny>
I am working on mrp with some elements of master scheduling. Alpha stage is
planned at november. Scheduling solution will be based on Preactor so only
interface
will be provided by me.
</quote>

So you may want to look at Compiere again in a few months.  :-)  Cheers,

| Dan Browning, Kavod Technologies <db@kavod.com>
Some people are born mediocre, some people achieve mediocrity, and some
people have mediocrity thrust upon them.
                 -- Joseph Heller, "Catch-22"