[ic] Catalog Creation

Marty interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Fri Aug 16 21:48:00 2002

On Fri, 2002-08-16 at 17:58, John Beima wrote:
> Quoting Marty <marty@sediva.com>:
>
> > On Fri, 2002-08-16 at 14:23, Brandon Mercer wrote:
> > > I've created a catalog from scratch following the "Catalog-building
> > > Tutorial" to the T and I'm having a little trouble with something in my
> > > site.  When I click on items on my site to buy them, it directs me to
> > > the error page with the message, "the page (index.html/ord/basket)
> > > cannot be found."  Now, I've created the page pages/ord/basket.html, is
> > > this not what it's looking for?  Do I have to define something
> > > differently?  Thanks
> > > Brandon Mercer
> > >
> > Hi Brandon,
> >
> > Actually, ord/basket.html should exist and does exist in the demo.
> > However, your catalog is looking for index.html/ord/basket. (which of
> > course is a mangled url)  It looks like your probably entered in an
> > incorrect value during makecat or perhaps during some other process.
> >
> > You can examine the source of your page and see how it mangles the links
> > and try and find the error in the catalog.cfg (located in your catalog
> > directory) or variable.txt (located in the products subdirectory) files.
>
> I always love seeing answer from people who never actually paid attention to the
> question... Since he created the catalog from scratch he never ran makecat.
>
> Brandon,
>
> Look in your catalog.cfg file and make sure you have the following paramters:
>
> SpecialPage  catalog   index
> SpecialPage  order     ord/basket
> SpecialPage  checkout  ord/checkout
> SpecialPage  report    ../etc/report
> SpecialPage  receipt   ../etc/receipt
>
> They define the basket and checkout pages.
>
> ALWAYS VERY NICE to see someone creating a catalog from scratch! This will put
> you well on your way to be a competitent Interchange user.

I always love seeing an answer from people who never actually paid
attention to what is in the "Catalog-Building tutorial" but think they
have memorized it.

Quoting from said tutorial.

"Note: After installation, makecat should be run to build your catalog.
For information on installing Interchange and building your catalog
using makecat, see the Red Hat Interchange 4.8: Getting Started Guide.
Do not to continue with this tutorial without a working demo catalog."

Brandon, use makecat to get a working demo, then...and only
then....continue to build from scratch.

ALWAYS VERY NICE to see someone creating a catalog from
scratch.....*after* they have a working demo from makecat.

Welcome aboard Brandon.  Interchange is great software and the
possibilities are endless.

Marty

--
Marty Tennison	 	The Sediva Company