[ic] Catalog Creation

John Beima interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Fri Aug 16 22:09:00 2002

Quoting Marty <marty@sediva.com>:

> On Fri, 2002-08-16 at 17:58, John Beima wrote:
> > Quoting Marty <marty@sediva.com>:

> > > Hi Brandon,
> > >
> > > Actually, ord/basket.html should exist and does exist in the demo.
> > > However, your catalog is looking for index.html/ord/basket. (which of
> > > course is a mangled url)  It looks like your probably entered in an
> > > incorrect value during makecat or perhaps during some other process.
> > >
> > > You can examine the source of your page and see how it mangles the
> links
> > > and try and find the error in the catalog.cfg (located in your catalog
> > > directory) or variable.txt (located in the products subdirectory)
> files.
> >
> > I always love seeing answer from people who never actually paid attention
> to the
> > question... Since he created the catalog from scratch he never ran
> makecat.
> >
> > Brandon,
> >
> > Look in your catalog.cfg file and make sure you have the following
> paramters:
> >
> > SpecialPage  catalog   index
> > SpecialPage  order     ord/basket
> > SpecialPage  checkout  ord/checkout
> > SpecialPage  report    ../etc/report
> > SpecialPage  receipt   ../etc/receipt
> >
> > They define the basket and checkout pages.
> >
> > ALWAYS VERY NICE to see someone creating a catalog from scratch! This will
> put
> > you well on your way to be a competitent Interchange user.
> >

> I always love seeing an answer from people who never actually paid
> attention to what is in the "Catalog-Building tutorial" but think they
> have memorized it.
>
> Quoting from said tutorial.
>
> "Note: After installation, makecat should be run to build your catalog.
> For information on installing Interchange and building your catalog
> using makecat, see the Red Hat Interchange 4.8: Getting Started Guide.
> Do not to continue with this tutorial without a working demo catalog."
>
> Brandon, use makecat to get a working demo, then...and only
> then....continue to build from scratch.
>
> ALWAYS VERY NICE to see someone creating a catalog from
> scratch.....*after* they have a working demo from makecat.
>
> Welcome aboard Brandon.  Interchange is great software and the
> possibilities are endless.
>
> Marty

Well I must bow down THIS time. The Catalog Build Tutorial has been drasticly
updated since I first read it YEARS ago. Granted that was also with MiniVend V:3.X.

HOWEVER you do NOT need to run makecat EVER. If you are truely building a
catalog from scratch you do NOT need the demo. Create the folders yourself and
write it. That is simply one of the best ways to learn it. If you have written
every line of every file, you know your site(s) and Interchange.

You don't NEED the components. You don't NEED the blank database files.

However it is always nice for new users to create a foundation catalog as well,
to get an idea of how things CAN work. Everyone has to remember that the
foundation template is just that a "foundation" for you to start with.

But back to the original post.

Brandon,

Don't waste time by re-running makecat. It will only mess things up. Look for
the settings I sent you, or write me off the list and I will help you directly.

John Beima
jbeima@affordable-web-pages.com