[ic] restarting cart problem

Jon @ nites.net interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Sat Dec 7 10:45:01 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: Arts n Ink <artsnink@artsnink.com>
To: <interchange-users@icdevgroup.org>
Sent: Friday, December 06, 2002 4:25 PM
Subject: [ic] restarting cart problem

> My hosting company has upgraded to a newer version of the IC cart.
> Frequently in the past, I would have to have them reset and/or restart
> my cart.  This has now happened again, however, when I restore my files
> to my cpanel, although the correct information appears in my ftp files,
> the admin tool of the IC cart is not showing the proper information.
> The cart is showing the basic foundation store.  I am very frustrated
> because my "store" has now been closed for 2 business days trying to
> have my hosting company "fix" it.  My hosting company keeps mentioning
> another cart, Agora, and is trying to encourage me to use that one.
> However, I have spent a lot of time and energy creating my store in the
> IC cart -- which I love when working properly.  I apologize for my
> sarcasim, but I am interested to know if others experience often the
> cart needing to be reset or restarted by their hosting companies.
> Also, what causes such an event?  Is there a way that I can make this
> cart work myself, and is there a way to get the admin tool to recognize
> my files from my cpanel?
>
> Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Terry
> artsnink@artsnink.com

A few questions come to mind that might make it possible to answer your
questions. .
Server OS. IC version upgraded from, IC version upgraded to. Perl?
More specifically what part of your catalog is not 'showing up' where you
expect it?
What error messages show up in error.log, icdebug, at interchange start up
etc?

A quick glance through the mailing list archives reveals the well known fact
that IC and Cpanel do not coexist peacefully.
The most common cause is incorrect permissions.

Since cpanel, interchange, and agora are commonly bundled by web hosts,
regardless of their ability to service any of the problems that might arise
with cpanel and interchange, it's not surprising that you're being urged to
use a simpler, less complicated  product.  But, IMO,  Perl is Perl. To reach
the end user functionality, administrative flexibility, and relative
efficiency of Interchange with Agora you'd wind up with... Interchange.

Lots of people have been right where you are with your web host. None of us
can begin to suggest a solution to the specific problem without more detail.
A host with good tech support might help, or root access might make it
possible to correct it yourself. At least as root you'd be able to restart
your own interchange server.

JB