[ic] restarting cart problem

Jon interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Sat Dec 7 21:57:01 2002

> My hosting company has upgraded to a newer version of the IC cart.
> Frequently in the past, I would have to have them reset and/or restart
> my cart.  This has now happened again, however, when I restore my files
> to my cpanel, although the correct information appears in my ftp files,
> the admin tool of the IC cart is not showing the proper information.

I think I experienced the same thing.  I can make changes directly to, for
example
variables.txt, and issue an Apply Changes, but those changes don't seem to
appear
via the admin UI so I need to make the same changes individually manually
via the Admin UI. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think this has anything to
do with cpanel since I can ssh in and make the changes to the files using
vi.
I haven't tried following up with a restart of IC which could make a
difference
I don't know. I would have thought these being cart level changes that it
would
be sufficient for an Apply Changes alone.

> The cart is showing the basic foundation store.

You didn't say, but I'm guessing they upgraded from 4.8.6 to 4.9.3 or 4 ?
Assuming so there has been a lot of changes in the templates.  You can
utilize
your existing templates (some one tell me if I'm wrong on that) and place
them
in the 'foundation' directory but be sure to change the link and set the
STYLE
parameter back to foundation and then Apply Changes again.

> I am very frustrated
> because my "store" has now been closed for 2 business days trying to
> have my hosting company "fix" it.  My hosting company keeps mentioning
> another cart, Agora, and is trying to encourage me to use that one.
> However, I have spent a lot of time and energy creating my store in the
> IC cart -- which I love when working properly.  I apologize for my
> sarcasim, but I am interested to know if others experience often the
> cart needing to be reset or restarted by their hosting companies.
> Also, what causes such an event?  Is there a way that I can make this
> cart work myself, and is there a way to get the admin tool to recognize
> my files from my cpanel?

    I think a lot of problems of the past with cpanel hosts are due to
trying to
support a cart with cpanel alone and that simply isn't sufficient if not
not just
horribly inefficient.  If you don't have some sort of telnet capability
such as SSH then request it because most are now providing it.

Jon