[ic] Two catalogs one products table

Brian Kosick interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Fri Dec 13 11:51:01 2002

Mike Heins wrote:

<SNIP>

>Not knowing what the problem is, I suspect that you are the victim of a
>default [query ...] somewhere. You would need [query base=merchandising
>...] instead.

The problem is that I'm trying to share the products table of one site
(site1) with another site(site2) I did it by specifing
a new SQLDSN variable and then editing the products pgsql file to use
the new DSN.  It works great, except that site2 insists that it uses the
merchandising table from site1.  The work around that I did was to
rename site2's merch table and use the UI_MERCH_TABLE Variable to
specify the new merchandising table.  It works great, because the
components and the frontend all use some form of the following.

[either]__UI_MERCH_TABLE__[or]merchandising[/either]

However the admin pages don't so my workaround breaks the backend.  A
really really nice solution for my problem, would be an option like
ProductsFile but for merchandising table.  So I could do something like
this in catalog.cfg.

MerchFile   merchandising_dc

in the absence of that would it be possible for me to do something
similar with the Database tag and do

Database   merchandising  merchandising_dc.txt    SQL
 DSN:<connectionstuff>:merchandising_dc

I'd really rather not modify the admin pages, but if I have no other
options I will.  And yes I know that I can copy them to admin/ and
modify them there.  I just don't want things to stray too far off the
beaten path so to speak, so future upgrades won't be as painfull.