[ic] Intermittent PGP failures & Lost credit card info

Mon Feb 4 02:12:00 2002

Quoting Marty Tennison (marty@sediva.com):
> Hi List,
>
> I was wondering if anyone had a good idea of how to fix this problem.   I
> have PGP installed and working 99.9% of the time however, I get an
> intermittent problem with PGP occasionally that makes it bomb.  (looks like
> a memory problem).    The really bad part is that when PGP fails, not only
> does it not send the credit card info to me, but it also fails to write the
> encrypted info to the tracking.asc file.   A phone call to a customer to get
> the credit card info follows, very embarrassing.

I bet you are running BSD. Right?

Don't think that means I have an answer, it is just that 98% of the
flaky system interaction problems I see with external commands come on a
BSD system. It is due to their rewindable system calls and what happens
to them when a signal occurs. Many programs don't handle that right,
Perl among them. I am guessing PGP doesn't handle it well either.

You really should have mentioned your OS -- if PGP is failing, it is
much more a platform issue than an Interchange issue.

phone +1.513.523.7621      <mheins@redhat.com>

Friends don't let friends use Outlook. -- Bob Blaylock