[ic] Intermittent PGP failures & Lost credit card info

Marty Tennison interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Mon Feb 4 09:26:01 2002

Thanks for the response Mike,

Sorry I did not include releveant OS info.  here is what I'm running:

Debian Linux 2.2.19
PGP 6.5.8
IC 4.8.3

Could this possibly represent a single point of failure for
interchange?  My thought is that interchange has multiple routes and
logs the information to multiple locations. If pgp fails it causes the
whole thing to break by failing to write the credit card number
anywhere.  It would not be as bad if the order failed and the customer
received a failure notice and to try again, but in this case,
everything appears to go correctly from the customers point of view,
and interchanges point of view for that matter.  Pgp writes an error
to the error file, but that's it.

It seems to me that, as a fail-safe, the ability to log the entire
order information to disk first, before calling any outside programs
might not be a bad idea even if encryption is enabled.  That way we
can always log on and get the order info from a secure directory and
then clean out that directory once we are sure all orders have been
successfully received.

Wouldn't it be possible to set up a custom order route that logs the
unencrypted information to disk but does not mail it?

Thank again for your help Mike, Great software.  I hope my interchange
skills become good enough to contribute code some day.