[ic] Intermittent PGP failures & Lost credit card info

Mon Feb 4 11:48:00 2002

Quoting Jerry (jerry@digitalfm.com):

> > Sorry I did not include releveant OS info.  here is what I'm running:
> >
> > Debian Linux 2.2.19
> > PGP 6.5.8
> > IC 4.8.3
> >
> > Could this possibly represent a single point of failure for
> > interchange?  My thought is that interchange has multiple routes and
>
> [SNIP]
> > > I bet you are running BSD. Right?
> > >
> [SNIP]
>
> For what it's worth, I'm seeing this exact same behavior on our
> server running:
> RedHat Linux release 6.2.1
> GPG version 1.0.1 <-NOTE: Not using PGP.
> Interchange 4.8.3
>
> There are currently 15 different catalogs on that server. This has
> happened on a few of them, never the same one twice. The error
> it logs is: PGP failed with status 3072:
>
> Haven't figured that one out yet. This is very intermittent with
> only a couple of occurrences in the last month, but still a problem
> to have to contact the customer to get the CC Info again.
> It hasn't happened enough to make it a high priority problem, however
> I thought sharing that this also happens on a system with a different
> Linux brand/release and also GPG as opposed to PGP might help
> resolve this. On the surface, Interchange 4.8.3 would seem to
> be the common thread. We haven't seen this on the server running
> RH release 6.2 and Interchange 4.7.x with GPG 1.0.1. At least
> not yet.

This is an interesting report, though I cannot see what we are
doing different between those two versions. I wonder if the
traffic is greater on the newer machine.

bill:~% perl -le 'print 3072 >> 8'
12
bill:~% grep ' 12 ' /usr/include/asm/errno.h
#define	ENOMEM		12	/* Out of memory */

I can't think of what we would do that would cause this.

It would be interesting to see what the value of the
"EncryptProgram" directive is for each of these machines.

phone +1.513.523.7621      <mheins@redhat.com>

Just because something is obviously happening doesn't mean something
obvious is happening. --Larry Wall