[ic] Interactive Payment Gateway

Ed LaFrance interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Jul 9 11:08:01 2002

At 03:35 AM 7/9/2002 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi, I am trying to setup an external payment gateway. The difference with
>this gateway is that the credit card details are entered on the external
>site. This means that I must pause payment processing while the customer
>interacts with the external site. The external site will fully process the
>credit card transaction, so once it is complete the order will be paid for.
>
>The problem I am having is syncronising the display/pause behaviour. I
>have added a new payment module, similar to the other modules -
>authorize.net etc, and I can pause within this module. I also have the
>pages necessary to display the external sites pages. However any page
>display will not occur until after the payment module has finished.
>
>Logic flow is:
>    click process button
>    goto payment module
>    display external site
>    handle response
>    return to checkout/receipt as appropriate
>
>However what I am getting is:
>    click process button
>    goto payment module
>    queue external site display
>    return to checkout as processing failed
>    display external site
>
>grrrrr
>
>What I need is either a way to display the page without finishing the
>process module, or to be able to validate the order without completing it,
>hand off to the payment site, then return and complete the order/display
>the receipt etc.
>
>Any help is very welcome :)
>
>I suppose I should tell you the gateways process, just in case I am _way_
>of the mark :}
>
>  1: Call their site, include your ID, a unique reference, and the amount
>  2: Customer enters CC details and clicks OK
>  3: Gateway calls a script on your server to verify ref/amount
>  4: Gateway process transaction
>  5: Gateway calls another script on your server informing result of
> transaction
>  6: Gateway displays page telling customer of transaction results
>
>I have the scripts syncronised with semaphores and a 3 minute timeout, I'd
>enlarge that in production environment.
>
>Jeff.

I've done a handful of these now, and every one has been different. The
most problematic are the ones like you are describing, which take the user
off of your site, then try to make back-side queries and relay responses.
There are a bushel of problems that you must overcome to get this to work,
and you really might want to consider hiring a consultant to help with at
least some of it; there are several on this list that are skilled enough.

In the alternative, consider one of the payment systems which is supported
in the Interchange distribution; it will make your like a whole lot easier.

- Ed L.

Increase profits from your Interchange store...
http://www.newmediaems.com/cgi-bin/nm/software_fus.html
(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free       (530) 622-9426 Fax