[ic] Paypal admits to losing data????

Chris Bryant interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Thu Jun 27 08:40:01 2002

Carlc Internet Services wrote:

>Well, don't this beat all, I got an email to my email address
>that I ONLY use for this list and it was from PayPal... This
>is from the email:
<<..>>

>The reason I posted this to the list was, I don't want anyone scammed if
>it is a scam. If its valid, then those of you using paypal may want to
>contact Paypal to see if any of your data was lost.

	This *is* a scam-
whois for paypalupdate.com:

      Max Levine
      591 Willow Ave.
      Cedarhurst, NY 11516
      US
      Phone: 408 556 8864
      Email: booloodad@uscity.net

whois for paypal.com:

Registrant:
Confinity, Inc (PAYPAL2-DOM)
   1840 Embarcadero Rd.
   Palo Alto, CA 94303
   US

   Domain Name: PAYPAL.COM

   Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
      PayPal, Inc. Hostmaster  (PI2724-ORG) hostmaster@PAYPAL.COM
      PayPal, Inc.
      Palo Alto, CA 94303
      Palo Alto, CA 94303
      US
      650.251.1100
      Fax- 650.251.1101

	Also a snippet from a recent paypal message:
<quote>
Security Reminder
When you log in to your PayPal account, be sure that the website's URL
always begins with https://www.paypal.com/.

The "s" in "https://" at the beginning of the URL means you are
logging into a secure page.

If the URL does not begin with https, you are not on a PayPal page.
</quote>

FWIW..

--
Chris Bryant