[ic] Problem with Content Editor on 5.2.0

Gary Norton gnorton at broadgap.com
Mon Dec 6 14:54:45 EST 2004

Mathew Jones wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a client using IC 5.2.0, and experiences occasional problems
> with the content editor.
> When editing a page in the admin tools, the text will appear cutoff in
> the 'CONTENT' area with a series of characters which look like squares
> with a black outline. When I look at the source code for the page
> these characters appear to be �
> When I pico into the page all the original text is there in the
> CONTENT area, however up at the top of the page in the [comment]
> section is the cut off portion of the text which looks something like
> this.

> 1-866-462@^@^@^@^@^@^@
>

> the @^ is repeated over 1000 times
>
> if my client now saves this page, it overwrites the content with the
> gobledygook that is in the ui_body
>
> Has anyone ever experience this before? She has experienced this on
> both netscape 7 and IE6.
>
> Thanks
>
> Mat

We did see something similar to this a while ago. If I recall we were
using the HTMLAREA widget from 5.3 and did not have the proper language
setting set for the site/widget.

Once we reset the language option for the HTMLAREA widget the problem
was resolved. I believe that it was related to the interpretation of
white-space and the UTF-8 character set.

However, if you are not using the widget, then this would not apply.

YMMV,
Gary