Akopia Akopia Services

Re: [mv] Re: your mail

******    message to minivend-users from "Alexei Yakimovich" <alex@del.donetsk.ua>     ******

Hi,

I'm working with MV about half year.
Yes, that's true, you need to spend a lot of time to
build big and helpful site.
But, I don't understand why don't make a great documentation
or howto or just some examples.
It looks like software for the "China's pioneers", sorry.
I see only fights in MV list. Thanks Mike for the really great
MV list, only MV list will help somebody. But I can't see any
big advacement from the Vend of Andrew Wilcox.
All development work makes only additional
tags without any architect or fix some mistakes.
SSL - yes, thanks Netscape Inc.
SQL + DBI/DBD - thanks IBM and Tim Bunce.
CyberCash, Authorize.Net, and PaymentNet - you know.
PGP - I think you know too.
Where is MV v4 which as far as I know will be appear in autumn?
Which will bring us a great documentation.
I propose to stop any developments and create the documentation, all
together,
( plus make a tree design of MV tags).I think it will help MV.
Please don't make from MV only e-commerce package.
It seems to me MV has all features of good publishing system.
Sorry for this message I like MV.

Alexsei

<gideon@swingmaster.nl>     ******

> [...]
> you'll look back on the long nights and all the headaches and
> think it was worthwile.
>
> And indeed, addiction, I say, is allmost a must, I you don't
> have an entire team on your hands...
>
> Thank you Mike, for a wonderful system!
>
> -Gideon
>

> > ******    message to minivend-users from Birgitt Funk
> <birgitt@booktraders.com>     ******

> SQLplease
> >
> > [snip]
> >

> > > Roger, I'm right with you - your experience matches my own. I
> >
> > [big snip]
> >

> > > Hint #1: There are no _instructions_ for Minivend. Don't waste time
> > > looking; the documentation is documentation in the literal sense. It
is
> > > about minivend, it clarifies principles of minivend, it is necessary
and
> > > helpful - but it will not tell you how to achieve a goal.
> >
> > If the documentation clarifies the principles of minivend, then ....
> >

> > > Hint #4: The biggest key to the minivend mindset: There's more than
one
> > > way to do it. Abbreviated TMTOWTDI (pronounced Tim-Toady). Minivend
> shares
> > > this with perl, so those who like perl tend to like minivend too. In
> both
> > > cases, it means (if you'll forgive oversimplifcation) that almost all
> > > functions, terms, and problems have multiple meanings depending on
> > > context.
> >
> > ...the multiple meanings of all functions, terms in their dependendcies
> > from context should be derivable from the principles.
> >
> > If this is not the case for you...
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > I believe in three classes of sucessful minivend users at this time:
> > >
> > > 1. People prepared by thier backgound to do quick trial and error (eg,
> > > Perl programmers)
> > > 2. People who have the minvend mindset 'naturally', ie they always
> > > approach questions in a way well supported my the existant docs
> > > 3. People who spend tens to hundreds of hours.
> > >

> > ...see, if you belong to any of the three above mentioned type of
> > people.
> >
> > If you don't, go on with something else or become addicted. If you can't
> > avoid getting addicted, take the more useful drug. Spend tens to
hundreds
> > of hours to learn programming, preferably Perl.
> >
> > Then be a free man... and enjoy. I think it's worth the effort.
> >
> > Birgitt
> >
> > -
> > To unsubscribe from the list, DO NOT REPLY to this message.  Instead,
send
> > email with 'UNSUBSCRIBE minivend-users' in the body to
> Majordomo@minivend.com.
> > Archive of past messages: http://www.minivend.com/minivend/minivend-list
>

> -
> To unsubscribe from the list, DO NOT REPLY to this message.  Instead, send
> email with 'UNSUBSCRIBE minivend-users' in the body to

Search for: Match: Format: Sort by: