Akopia Akopia Services

Re: [mv] Re: your mail

******    message to minivend-users from Ryan Hertz <rhertz@gyb.baits.com>     ******

At 12:37 AM 1/20/2000 , you wrote:
>******    message to minivend-users from "Alexei Yakimovich"
><alex@del.donetsk.ua>     ******
>
>Hi,
>
>I'm working with MV about half year.
>Yes, that's true, you need to spend a lot of time to
>build big and helpful site.
>But, I don't understand why don't make a great documentation
>or howto or just some examples.
>It looks like software for the "China's pioneers", sorry.
>I see only fights in MV list. Thanks Mike for the really great
>MV list, only MV list will help somebody. But I can't see any
>big advacement from the Vend of Andrew Wilcox.

[snip]

How quickly we get spoiled by a few point-and-click installations of
various softwares!  There are plenty of free (GPL) software solutions that
have even WORSE or NO documentation.  I know, I'm working with one
now.  The concept is the same, you can try and install this for free or you
can pay the developer or a consultant $250/hr to do it for you.  We've
actually got it good, and to get free, powerful software with ANY docs is
maybe more than we deserve.  Some people may be quick to point out that
Linux is free, but to really get all the bells and whistles you might have
to pay.  For printed documentation you must pay.  Apache?  Free.  How many
people work on Apache versus MiniVend?

Perhaps we should all revisit the notion of the minivend documentation
project again.

Perhaps I have more programmer in me than other people in the list who are
trying to achieve their Internet E-Commerce Dreams without the hard work
and head scratching.  I don't get mad when the hammer I just bought doesn't
come with instructions.

Ryan Hertz                                              tel  800-645-BAIT
Webmaster                                               fax  520-645-2588
Advertising Director                            http://www.insideline.net
Gary Yamamoto Custom Baits, Inc.            http://www.yamamoto.baits.com

-
email with 'UNSUBSCRIBE minivend-users' in the body to Majordomo@minivend.com.