Akopia Akopia Services

Re: [mv] Re: your mail

******    message to minivend-users from "Christian J. =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=FCller?=" <cmueller@polinet.ch>     ******

It's quite simple:
You are the wrong person in the wrong list using the wrong software.

Roger Arnold wrote:

> ******    message to minivend-users from Roger Arnold <rbarnold@a-dream.com.au>     ******
>
> Roger wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> Who needs documentation for a hammer, this is an absolute stupid association to
> documentation for minivend.
>
> As for expecting an e-commerce solution without hard work and head scratching, this
> doesn't even deserve an answer, but it's going to get one.
>
> Nobody has ever said that they want something for nothing in minivend, and comparing
> minivend to Linux or Apache is ludicrous, both Linux and Apache are supported by many
> people and user groups who seem to love helping others who know little or nothing about
> either one. They also don't look down on anyone who needs help configuring or running the
> software.

As I recall your posts, a good look at the docs could have answered
them. You sid in one of your posts, that you have studied the docs and
the FAQ's and searched the maillist, but have not been able to solve
your problem. I am not a programmer, but have been able to install mySQL
(and even answered a post of yours a few minutes ago) only by reading
the docs and the FAQs and searching the maillist. Is it really the poor
docs to blaim?
I have answered a number of posts to this maillist and have been able to
point people to the relevant part of the docs most of the time. It seems
to be easier to ask the list than to scratch your head.

> I don't care whether you are a programmer or not, your attitude needs to change, if you
> don't want to share your knowledge and help other people get the most out of minivend or
> even get it running in the first place, what are you doing in a user group ?

Have you ever answered any of the questions in this list? As far as I
recall you are expecting everyone to help you, but do not care to help
others. I hope you prove me wrong in the future.

> In fact why is there even a users group, if it's not  to help others who don't know as
> much as some?
> Is it there so all the people who have got it running satisfactory to show off and say
> 'look at me I have done what not many people can do' I don't want to help anyone, because
> they might become as good as me ?
>
> It is understandable that MiniVend's documentation is not as good as it could be, after
> all has the programmer that wrote and nurtured it got to spend many, many more hours and
> weeks writing documentation so that even the novice can install and run it without any
> problems.
>
> However that is NO excuse why many of the people who have gained experience in installing
> and running the software can't spend an hour or two and write a How-To so that the novice
> can find answers to questions without having to ask the question in the first place.
> If 100 experienced users wrote a How-To about different subjects, this discussion would
> never have started in the first place, and the documentation would be supported by many
> better examples by actual USERS.
>
> So before this discussion grows into a war of words, how about some experienced users
> getting together and collaborating in a joint effort to write some How-To's ?
> I am sure that someone would volunteer to organise the effort and that MiniVend would
> create a special section on the website to host them, if not I am willing to supply
> webspace and hosting for an organised listing of How-To's for MiniVend, perhaps the
> greatest software in the world for e-commerce and a variety of other cataloging and
> publishing area's.
>

> So how about it........................
>
> Who is going to volunteer ?????????

Now that the list has helped you to install SQL, why don't you write
that FAQ? This would help others who are like you - or do you fear, that
those who need it most would not bother to read your FQA and your effort
would therefore be useless?

Chris

> Regards
> Roger
>
> Ryan Hertz wrote:
>
> > ******    message to minivend-users from Ryan Hertz <rhertz@gyb.baits.com>     ******
> >
> > At 12:37 AM 1/20/2000 , you wrote:
> > >******    message to minivend-users from "Alexei Yakimovich"
> > ><alex@del.donetsk.ua>     ******
> > >
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >I'm working with MV about half year.
> > >Yes, that's true, you need to spend a lot of time to
> > >build big and helpful site.
> > >But, I don't understand why don't make a great documentation
> > >or howto or just some examples.
> > >It looks like software for the "China's pioneers", sorry.
> > >I see only fights in MV list. Thanks Mike for the really great
> > >MV list, only MV list will help somebody. But I can't see any
> > >big advacement from the Vend of Andrew Wilcox.
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > How quickly we get spoiled by a few point-and-click installations of
> > various softwares!  There are plenty of free (GPL) software solutions that
> > have even WORSE or NO documentation.  I know, I'm working with one
> > now.  The concept is the same, you can try and install this for free or you
> > can pay the developer or a consultant $250/hr to do it for you.  We've
> > actually got it good, and to get free, powerful software with ANY docs is
> > maybe more than we deserve.  Some people may be quick to point out that
> > Linux is free, but to really get all the bells and whistles you might have
> > to pay.  For printed documentation you must pay.  Apache?  Free.  How many
> > people work on Apache versus MiniVend?
> >
> > Perhaps we should all revisit the notion of the minivend documentation
> > project again.
> >
> > Perhaps I have more programmer in me than other people in the list who are
> > trying to achieve their Internet E-Commerce Dreams without the hard work
> > and head scratching.  I don't get mad when the hammer I just bought doesn't
> > come with instructions.
> >
> > Ryan Hertz                                              tel  800-645-BAIT
> > Webmaster                                               fax  520-645-2588
> > Advertising Director                            http://www.insideline.net
> > Gary Yamamoto Custom Baits, Inc.            http://www.yamamoto.baits.com
> >
> > -
> > To unsubscribe from the list, DO NOT REPLY to this message.  Instead, send
> > email with 'UNSUBSCRIBE minivend-users' in the body to Majordomo@minivend.com.
> > Archive of past messages: http://www.minivend.com/minivend/minivend-list
>
> -
> To unsubscribe from the list, DO NOT REPLY to this message.  Instead, send
> email with 'UNSUBSCRIBE minivend-users' in the body to Majordomo@minivend.com.
> Archive of past messages: http://www.minivend.com/minivend/minivend-list
-
email with 'UNSUBSCRIBE minivend-users' in the body to Majordomo@minivend.com.